Friday, January 26, 2007

Review of Brigid of Ireland from Sharon Hinck


Greetings, historical fiction lovers!

Cindy is a gifted writer and also a dear friend and encourager on this rocky road of writing, so I’m happy to pop by today to comment on her novel.

I constantly have a stack of new novels waiting to be read, but when Cindy’s book, Brigid of Ireland, released, it disappeared shortly after arriving. My daughter, Jenni had nabbed it. Although the book is intended for the adult reader, I found it interesting how strongly Jenni related to the story, so I asked her to write a review from her perspective as a fourteen-year-old.

Jenni’s Review

My name is Jenni and I’m a freshman at Concordia-Academy Bloomington (a Lutheran high school). I love to read and am currently working on writing a novel of my own. I like fencing and archery, playing flute, piano and guitar, and I hate geometry (but like algebra).

I took Brigid of Ireland from the stack of my mom’s books because the description on the back cover sounded interesting, and the cover was pretty. I liked the chapter openings with quotes – some Bible verses and some Celtic blessings or sayings.

But most of all, I absolutely loved the STORY of Brigid of Ireland. It has such a gripping plot, and is a great inspiration to my faith.

I've recommended it to all of my friends, knowing that they would love the suspense and heartbreak in it, as well as the spirituality. I admire Brigid's strong faith throughout all her troubles. It gives me strength to go through tough things.

In addition to sharing this terrific book with adult friends, consider buying a copy for a daughter, student, niece, or other young woman in your life!

---Sharon Hinck is the author of The Secret Life of Becky Miller and Renovating Becky Miller (both from Bethany House Publishing). Visit her at www.sharonhinck.com

1 comment:

Cindy Thomson said...

Thanks, Sharon and Jenni! What a blessing!