Thursday, February 1, 2007

Not-So-Secret Love

I have a confession to make—I love trivia. I even tried out for Jeopardy once. Didn’t make it (and learned I’m far from the brightest crayon in the box) but I met Alex.

Over the years I’ve filled my brain with so many little known facts I’m surprised I don’t leave a trail of dropplets that won’t fit—actually a sort of a Hansel and Gretel kind of thing might be nice to help me remember what I was thinking when I veer off track.

I especially love learning about juicy tidbits of early American history. Things such as the fact that George Washington was not the first president of the United States. He was the first president under the Constitution but there was another man who had that title under the Articles of Confederation who even GW called “Mr. President.”

Okay, so I don’t know everything but that one stuck when I read it in a great book called One Night Stands With American History. I love that book and, if it weren’t for the candor in areas inappropriate for children, I’d make each of my fifth graders read it. Instead, I read selected passages to them and we discuss it.

A part of me is relieved to see people are people no matter the century. And a part of me is saddened that some things never change. But if you enjoy American history, and really who in their right mind doesn’t (I feel safe stating that opinion here), this might be a book worth your time. Authors working in that era of the historical genre would definitely find flavor jewels.

So, I pass on one of my secret trivia sources to you. Do you have any special places you enjoy for locating tidbits of history? Feel free so share. Oh, and by the way, anyone out there know the name of our first president (the one under the Articles of Confederation, not George)? I'll send chocolate to the first person to post a comment with the correct name.

Abundant blessings,
Jenny

3 comments:

Deborah said...

john hanson

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

Sounds like a great book. I ordered a copy. Thanks for mentioning it!

Lori

Jenny said...

Whoo hoo! We have a winner! Way to be brave and know the answer Deborah--you did know the answer and didn't just look it up, right?

Lori, I hope you enjoy it--lots of interesting stuff.

Abundant blessings,
Jenny Cary